Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
This was the June Taylor spray that I picked up a JoAnn's. I washed the fabrics once and the batting three times after pulling them apart. There are still sections that have this spray on them. So, when they say it washes out, it doesn't. Not a good thing to use on baby quilts either. I can still smell this junk.

While hand basting last night, I noticed the areas that still had the spray on them; the needle wouldn't glide through easily.

I have used the 505 spray, but that was back before using vintage machines, and I do recall having sections of the quilting with this similar problem. Back then, I considered it to be my error. Now, I'm thinking it wasn't. I googled loops and skip stitching from spray basting and read that it has happened to others.

I have been wanting to do one quilt again that was hand quilted, been over 23 years since I hand quilted. This may be my quilt that now gets hand quilted since there are too many sections left with the spray. And I don't feel like machine quilting and then ripping out the sections that have the loops, if they do occur again.

This could be fun hand quilting it and adding some hand embroidery to the project. So, I'm starting my next year's Christmas project today...and maybe I'll get it done in time.
Use a fluffy batting and just tie the quilt