Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

I would not buy a Singer, Viking, or Pfaff (although I used to be a Pfaff fan and have an older Pfaff). These companies belong to a holding company VSP now and they have the main focus on making a profit with little concern for quality and service. That is my opinion based on personal experience.

My last machine - which I LOVELOVELOVE - is a Baby Lock Espire (now being marketed as the Symphonie) and did I say that I love that machine? lol

What do I love? Needle up/down selection, large harp with large extension table, good light, easy menu selection, nice stitch quality, built-in scissors, drop-in (large) bobbin, speed control, one-push threader (it's the bomb), separate bobbin winder, she sews sideways and at 45 dergree angle (comes in handy for some topstitching), quit motor, start-stop button, knee lift, and she uses Brother feet. The only thing I wish she had was a built-in walking foot, but it is not difficult to attach the external walking foot. She is also not picky with threads and she doesn't pull the starting pieces down the feed dogs.

There are nice videos on the company website to feature the line. I'd suggest go check them out. (This would be at the upper end of your budget). Otherwise, I'd say have a list of "must have" features and go test drive all the brands.