Thread: quilt backings
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 04:21 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by katier825
Quiltville has a table to help you figure out what yardage you need.

http://quiltville.com/backingyardage.shtml

There are a few sites that have 108" wide for $5-6/yd. I don't know what the quality is. I do plan to try some eventually. I just have everything I need for backings at the moment. If I remember correctly, Marshall Dry Goods and Whittles fabrics were among those in that price range. I just purchased regular width at $3.95/yd at Thousands of Bolts because I wanted a certain print for the back. Boy are they quick too. I got my UPS tracking number less than 4 hrs after I ordered!
according to this chart, i should be able to back my quilt with 6 yds. no way, jose. i've never gotten away with less than 8-1/2 - 9 yds. i use one entire length down the center and 2 more runs, one on each side for the sides. that makes 3 lengthwise runs. the only way to use less is to have a quilt less that 90", which only gives a 15" drop on each side. 15" doesn't even get me to my siderail. that chart says it's for 72" and under. also, think of today's boxes and mattresses. that changes everything.

buying it online: has anyone done that with the wide backings? the shipping makes it pricey even on sale. that stuff is HEAVY! i'll have to check and see what happens to the shipping if i attach it to a larger order. then it may amortize itself.