View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 AM
tdtdesign

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
TDT Of course, I'm sure you already know that part of that happiness would be that you share the recipes with us!

Oh my, that touches on a personally very sensitive spot with regard to copyright issues involving works in the public domain, and work derived from the public domain. Laurie's book and the cookbook from Voyageur Press are derivative works. Bottom line, if I share recipes from the book, I'm violating the copyright held by Voyageur Press. The very fine distinction that gets by most people is that the original published recipes remain in the public domain, and I'm free to share those--if I'm willing and able dig them up from the actual Farmer's Wife magazines. That's not going to happen. LOL

BTW, some people mistakenly believe that the Internet is the public domain. Not! In very loose layman's terms, Public Domain is a legal definition describing the duration of a copyright.

Anyway, I'll be happy to post Yummy Reports on the recipes. And, of course, let you know of any collisions involving sharp knives and appendages. LOL

TDT[COLOR=#006400][SIZE=3][FONT=book antiqua][B], here's a question you might be able to answer, about the geneology of the FW that these quilts are based on...
Which leads me to wonder, if this FW is the predecessor of the current magazine?
Early on in the process, Laurie did an extensive search for any company that might still hold copyrights on The Farmer's Wife magazines to see if she needed copyright permission to use the children's letters. I'll ask her the name of the company she found.