Thread: fabric storage
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Gabrielle's Mimi

I, too, had wanted to buy the cardboard inserts for folding, but with the amount of fabric I have it would have cost a fortune. Instead, I did this: first, measure the amount of fabric and write it down on a piece of paper (I used index cards cut in half), then lay the fabric on your table so that the selvage is on the left and the fold is on the right, and the excess is falling off the table toward your feet. Next, lay a wide ruler (6.5 or 7" x 24) across the fabric and flip the fabric and ruler over and over toward you until all the fabric is wound on the ruler. Slide the ruler out, fold the bundle of fabric in half, and staple the piece of paper onto the top front. All your fabrics will stack neatly. I group mine by theme (batiks, Christmas, Halloween, baby, etc. and then by colors). Having the measurement on the top has saved me TONS of time when selecting what I need for a project. It took me several weeks to fold and label everything, but now it's a joy to use my stash...I feel like I am shopping in my own store! (BTW, I don't do this for anything less than 1/2 yard as it's difficult to get the fabric around the ruler. For FQs and small cuts I fold them neatly and stack them by color on the shelves of a CD unit. These shelves are shallow so you are not wasting the space of a deep shelf.) Good luck with your organization!

Last edited by Gabrielle's Mimi; 12-22-2011 at 09:54 AM.