Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM
purplefiend

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
Karen, I beg to differ with you. I teach sewing and quilting and have talked to my sewing machine repairman about machines, as I have to recommend to my students from time to time. He has said to stay away from all new Singers, as Singer has sold out, and all of their new machines have trouble, and are mostly junk. He recommends a high end Brother or Baby Lock as the best new ones being made now, and the best for the money. Others have said the same thing about new Singers. The older ones made by Singer are great. It is too bad the new company keeps putting Singer name on them when they are really not worth the money.
I sell new Singers and Husqvarna Viking machines, I agree that the new Singers are just not up to snuff. The HV Sapphire is the machine I use for machine quilting and most of my quilt piecing. It has a 10" throat and that makes it so much easier when quilting. The Sapphire 835 is with in your budget. Dealer support is a big help, interest free financing is available too.
I have antique Singers, they are fabulous machines; I have featherweights and treadle machines. You might also consider an older Pfaff made in Germany, I have 2 of those, both have the IDT(full time walking foot).
Sharon W.

Last edited by purplefiend; 12-23-2011 at 11:19 AM.