View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
smitty

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
Thanks for the great suggestions! I have taken the bobbin out but I can't remove the stitch plate because the needle is almost in the total down position. Don't know what will happen if I loosen the needle clamp...will it fall down in the bobbin mechanism (can't think what to call it)?

I usually do start and end with the needle in the up position and then I clip the thread.

Oh well, just don't want to have to take it in to SM repair guy!!
*********Save yourself some money. you can almost always fix the FW yourself. if you did not hold onto the
threads at the start of a seam, it did a bird's nest or at least caught a very short piece of thread somewhere.
loosen the needle clamp. the needle will not hurt anything if you do not turn the handwheel. then remove the
needle. but first, take a flashlight & seek any thread that may be caught somewhere. use a tweezers. you can
also take off the bottom plate & look at bobbin area. it does not take much thread to make a problem !
**while you have the bottom off, give the machine an oil job, unless you have just done that**
carefully remove screws of the throat plate and clean that area & check for threads. replace the needle, oil the
bobbin case. bet you have solved your problem.
Get Dave McCalums book on the FW. worth it's cost to any FW owner.