Old 12-23-2011, 04:52 PM
jaciqltznok
Banned

I get really tired of people yelling "quilt police" every time someone suggests that the THEY might be doing something unconventional.
Quilting "today" is NOT what it was 5 years ago..not even 10 years ago..or 100....just because someone says they don't know Sharon Schamber, does not make them any more ignorant than perhaps you not knowing who Danetta Burnett was to the quilting world! Heck, I had never seen, nor heard of Alex Anderson until the day I sold her fabric in the shop I was working in!

Using glue on your quilt is fine for someone who understands WHY it is used...most people just see it as a quick, cheap fix to a problem they have not learned how to really deal with! Same with spray basting, zig-zag binding, and even fusible applique that never gets sewn down.

Sure we all might have our own special way of getting from point A to point B, but just because someone does not like the way you do it, or says they would do it differently does not make them the POLICE at all...
when a person is paid to JUDGE, that is what they do, they are not the POLICE...

I used to hate when the OLD ladies at quilt guild shuddered at how my borders waved, or my stitches were too big in my hand quilting...until one day I realized...that by taking the time to read, watch, learn, I too could do a better job with my time, money, hands...

Granted not all criticism is creative, or well tongued, but if you stop, listen and learn, you will find that when you do want to make that show piece or family heirloom quilt, their advise will often pop back into your head and you will find yourself wanting to learn to do things differently! Albeit your own, or by watching/learning from Sharon Schamber!