View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 05:34 AM
onaemtnest

The trend towards modern fabrics (all reminding me of the 70's mod colors and designs :0) do not appeal to me personally. What I find very hard to find in good quality fabric is realistic floral designs, not calico...but say a soft roses in pastels...When I do a search in online fabric shops, it seems they are the most limited and indeed the most expensive. Designers like Rachel Ashwell ~ Laura Ashley who do realistic shabby chic roses just make me swoon :0)

We have a wonderful quilt department in our little town....they carry lines such as Moda, Benartex etc....When I talked to the manager about my dismay that they seemed to be buying mostly the modern lines....she said, "The owner of the store wants to appeal to the 'younger' quilters who want the modern fabrics." I suddenly felt really 'old' <giggles> The manager ordered in a couple of lines of fabrics that leaned towards the floral and guess what? The florals in the line sold out within a short time, with only the companion fabrics left to choose from.

As with all things quilty there IMHO is room for 'tastes' on both sides of the fence.