View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 03:57 PM
deemail

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
the one thing to keep in mind with ruler work-is you need a thicker ruler than your normal cutting rulers!the rulers i have are about 3/8" thickthe rulers we use with our rotory cutters are too thin--if using a free motion (hopping foot) you are risking the foot hopping onto the ruler and breaking a needle- could cause lots of problems---soas long as you have a thick enough ruler you can do it- it does take some practice---driving and holding the ruler- but if you have a pretty good (relationship) with your machine and the quilting process already---ruler work is just the next step to take proper tools always make a job easier- and the thick rulers are the proper tools (to do a good job ---AND TO DO IT SAFELY!)
you are so right about the thick rulers...the only caveat i can give to that is that when the set of half circle rulers were on sale for half price, i bought 2 sets, glued them one on top of the other, matching edges and lines exactly and got 6 different size half circles for 27 dollars....wayyyyy less than the LA rulers would have been...they are expensive, but so useful...especially the applique 'rulers' with a space that fits the foot to guide exactly around your appliques...feathers should be free-form ...practice for a couple of hours and they will be all yours and you can make them fit any shape
the first pic is to show how close you can get with an applique ruler...easy to do and gets your fingers away from the needle. here's my fave tool.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGLhJ8hAF4A
the second is more feathers, this time in two neighboring borders.... you can do this...
the third pick is to show a feathered circle...made with a little coffee can lid for the inside and big coffee can lid for the outside....feathers are free form
Attached Thumbnails qu.dee.nell.sbsue.bor.cor.small.jpg   qu.joye.black.rainbow.bundle.small.jpg   qu.dee.spring.vineyard.wreath.det.small.jpg  

Last edited by deemail; 12-24-2011 at 04:03 PM.