Old 12-25-2011, 03:57 AM
jitkaau

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
When I'm cutting a polyhedron or rhombus, I want my edges straight - thus my desire to use my rotary cutter. What I've been doing is cutting the shape on the sewing line, and hanging the edge of my ruler over the template by 1/4 inch for seam allowance. Repositioning my ruler causes the template to shift, though. Making tape anchors under it seems to be helping. I use paper if there are few shapes the same so I can save my template material for larger projects.
I'm clear now that you are being safe and have a suggestion to put a product called 'clear grip' on the bottom of your rules. I use it with success. It looks a bit like the film you put over the back of camera screens to protect them from scratching and comes in a metre roll. My method of cutting is to cut strips the width of my template and then place the template over the strips. This generally means only two cuts are needed for each shape and I vary the size of the rotary cutter depending on the size of the shape. Please show us what you come up with on a future post.