View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

For those who asked:

This really was not a hard quilt to put together. The block (which measures 14" on the straight sides) is made of just three pieces: two same-size triangles and a rectangle. So the only thing it requires is that you take your time and work accurately.

The key is stacking eight pattern repeats of the fabric very precisely. Then when you cut your triangles from the focus fabric, they are all identical, and that is what creates the kaleidoscope effect. The other two pieces are made from the background fabric (white, in the quilt I made).

The pattern was from Bethany Reynold's "Magic Stack and Whack Quilts" and since it's an older book, you can probably pick up a used copy on Amazon.

The fabric was from Fabric Freedom's "Red Roses" line, which is out of print now. I do still have the same rose print on a white background available in my store: http://www.favoritefabric.com/cgi/co...gory_info.html

It was my daughter who chose the fabric. I was not sure how well it would work out, because I had been told that for a stack and whack you should stay away from straight lines (the stems of the roses are straight lines) and also that I should be looking for a fabric with at least five colors (this only has three). But actually, I like the effect. The lesser number of colors meant that the finished blocks, while all different, are still quite similar, and that makes for a quilt that somehow looks "more planned".

We (my co-workers and I) hired one of our favorite customers to teach us all how to do this pattern one fine day last April. That's how this quilt came about!