Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 AM
quiltdoctor

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
It's a New Home Model A-1. This particular model was a transitional one. The very early ones had a boat shuttle, but the majority of them have the vibrating (bullet) shuttle. I've only seen one with a boat shuttle. I have a nice one in a parlor cabinet sitting right next to my computer. I gave a lot for this one, because the pittypat factor was sky high.
According to Charles Law, "The oldest versions of this model have a low-mounted bobbin winder and high mounted pick-up hook. The newest versions have a high mounted bobbin winder and low mounted pick-up hook." I believe you'll find this machine to be made before the 1890's, as models made during that time period had rounded corners on the bedplate as opposed to the square ones of this model. That change came sometime in the 1880's.
Very interesting, Miz Johnny!! I have the serial number of 1086602. When I looked it up, it showed 1891. I know it has a different bobbin winder than is shown on the manual too. Thanks for checking all this out. I'd love to see a picture of yours.

Texas Jan