Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 PM
AFQSinc

Default Not sure where to start selecting fabric for applique project

I recently purchased two applique patterns that I would like to do in wool applique. One is Jan Patek's Christmas 101 and the other is an older pattern called Guardian Angel by Linda Brannock. Here is a link for Guardian Angel. I believe it may be out of print now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380387812671...84.m1438.l2649

They are not originally done in wool applique but I thought it might be nice to have them in wool.

I will have to begin collecting fabric for these projects but I don't know where to begin. I am not really good at selecting fabrics and I'm not sure how to begin putting the fabrics together. Do I start with my background fabrics? Or should I just begin purchasing pieces that I like and then try to build from there? What is everyone's process when they are beyond the pattern selection or design stage and into fabric selection?

Also - those that design their own patterns: When your design is in the concept stage: Are you coming up with your design first and then fabric selection or does fabric influence your design? Colors? Textures? What comes first: The chicken or the egg?