View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 AM
catlinye_maker

I have taken online classes at Quilt University a few times; they do classes that "meet" once a week for several weeks depending on the class.

The good: the instruction has been very good on the classes I have taken. A new post with instructions and pictures goes up once a week with a step to carry out at home, and there is a discussion forum for chatting about your work. You send in photos of your progress; they are posted in a class webpage open to all the students. The teacher comments on your photos, answers questions and works with you on problems you're having. The weekly posts can be saved to your computer; they stay up on the website for a while after the class ends. I very much enjoyed the class on designing Hawaiian applique and treasure the quilt I made for it.

The bad: I signed up for a couple of classes (you sign up and pay in advance) and when they started I was just in a bad time or headspace for doing the class. There's no penalty for just reading along without participating, but I felt I'd wasted my money.

I'd sign up with them again if it was a class I really wanted to learn, scheduled at a time when I knew I'd be free to participate fully and get maximum value out of it. They also have a forum for student chat which is open to everyone, though it's a bit kludgy (threaded posts in one huge forum last time I looked.)

p.s. Ghostrider: great minds think alike, and post at the same time, too!

Last edited by catlinye_maker; 12-27-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added p.s.