View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 AM
LyndaK

Default 2012 - The Year of Handmade Gifts!

I know it's early for resolutions, but I've been sitting here watching the news. I cannot believe the crowds that were out there for Boxing Day Sales, and it's continuing on today.

I have decided in 2012, that I'm not buying anything for my knitting and sewing unless I need it to complete a UFO.

I have decided in 2012 that money will not be spent on gifts for our adult sons. I will make them things they can use in their homes, be that a quilted item, a food item, whatever.

I have decided in 2012 that our little granddaughter will receive lessons in sewing and also in making doll clothing for her 18 inch doll. Her gifts will be doll clothing, a Barbie quilt for her bed at her daddy's house, dresses made by Grandma for summerwear at the trailer and time spent going to interesting destinations.

I have decided in 2012 not to go to as many expensive quilting retreats. I will attend Sulky School because I learn so much. I will go to visit friends and sew for a couple of days in the States, and I'll attend one retreat with a very good friend here at home in Canada. Other than that, I'm not going to pack up all my stuff, cross the border, and sit and sew on banquet tables in uncomfortable chairs with really carb-laden food for days on end. It's not worth it anymore. I'll miss seeing people, but truly cannot justify the time and expense when I have a fully furnished and equipped sewing room here at home.

I have decided in 2012, I'm not going to be tempted to buy anymore Featherweights, no matter how much I'd like to fix them up...I have 3. I could be tempted by a 301, but it'd have to be extra pristine. I have one already.

And all this because I cannot cope with the brand of consumerism I saw on the television. I have a good part time job and can afford to buy things, but really it just doesn't seem necessary to me. Am I losing it or just showing my age?

Last edited by LyndaK; 12-27-2011 at 08:59 AM.