View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 AM
hsquiltingmom

Default something I have learned

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share something I have learned. When you start making a quilt, and are just doing your own thing, write down what your plans or ideas are. I have some quilts that I am working on, and I forgot what I was planning to do with the blocks. I now have to think through some ideas. Basically it is do I want sashing between the blocks or just between the rows. If I don't do sashing between the blocks, then I have about 28" to work with for borders, and do I want two borders or do I want to do more borders that are just smaller. The issue is I can't do a border from one of the block fabrics, because they were done with a block exchange group and I may not be able to match the fabric, so I am trying to decide what I want to do.

Anyway, that is one thing I will work on this year, is organizing my stuff and write down my ideas for the quilts so that when I put it away for a while, I know what I intended to do. Also, I tend to buy fabric without having a plan for it, just because I like it. This year, I will try to buy fabric only with a plan for it. I like to have a stash, but sometimes I don't have enough fabric for what I want to do.