View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 AM
linda8450

I made my first advent calendar this year for DGD and made most of their gifts. My daughter got towels for the guest room that I embroidered, my SIL got neck bands with crystals that hold water for mowing the lawn in the summer, I did snap bags (with tape measure pieces) for almost everybody and got rave reviews from all. I have always made some things, but I made it a point this year to give hand made items. I saved a ton of money as I had a stash of dish towels and fabrics for the items. I customized for each person and took my time and talent to give things that would be used and kept. My daughter called after the gifts were opened and started telling me about the day. The girls opened their vests with sherpa lining and put them on and wore them all day! They can't stop talking about the advent calendar. They were very excited about the corduroy skirts, and my daughter said every gift (except those from outside friends and family) were in my cloth, reusable drawstring bags! She is using aprons and potholders from years gone by, and the new table runner is great! .....I have left my mark! I will be remembered! I saved money! I used resources and my talents to give pleasure! What plastic wrapped toy gives that kind of pleasure? At my son's home I counted 5 broken toys before the end of Christmas day! Tears! Anger! Disappointment! Not from me, but good lesson learned..I am with you! Linda