Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
kkpc_gaelle

Default Help with identifying, threading and using what could be a FW?

I have wanted to play with a Featherweight ever since I read about their wonderful straight stitching abilities as a young quilter. I was surfing craigslist and found what could be a FW machine at a price I could afford (around $100). The seller had used the machine as a display piece in his living room and did not sew. He had however been told from the couple who sold it to him, that it stitched very well. I was able to negotiate the price down, not knowing whether I could actually use the machine, and brought it home tonight. I knew I was taking a gamble but was hopeful I could have it running within a few hours time!

I downloaded the manual, followed the steps for threading and using the bobbin, and every single time I was unsuccessful. I looked online and none of the suggestions I found had any impact. It's as if the thread from the needle was not able to pick up the thread from the bobbin. Either the top thread tangles massively around the bobbin case (that's when I thread the needle from left to right), either it simply does not catch the bobbin thread at all (when I thread the needle from right to left, in the manner one should). I tried both ways, that's how desperate I am....

I am thinking I am not dealing with the bobbin thread right. Actually I am not even sure the bobbin case looks like the one pictured in the manual, or like the other ones I can see online. This makes me wonder whether I actually purchased a FW or another type of vintage machine.

I took pictures of the machine I purchased and downloaded them onto an album on this site, under my forum name.

I feel quite defeated and would love some help from quilters who might know more than I do about these machines. Is my machine an actual FW, despite its off-looking bobbin case? How do I thread my machine properly? Also, how do I clean and oil it, I am thinking that my current issues may have to do with the machine being dirty (which it really is!)?...

Thank you so much for any help you may provide! I look forward to reading your helpful suggestions.