Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
You can tell your son that many of us prefer a machine with some (or even a lot) of wear. I generally find that the more use a machine has had, the better it sews for me. It may be because the machine is well-broken in, or it may be that the machines with fine decals look that way because it wasn't that great a stitcher in the first place, and therefore wasn't used as much. I know for sure I'm not the only one who prefers a machine that's seen some use.
I have found the same to be true. You wouldn't believe how beat up my Mom's FW machine is and how well it still runs. That little machine served our family well for over 60 years with out ever being serviced. I've seen many machines that looked pristine and then figured out there was some issue or other that had never been resolved. I would rather see one over oiled and gunked up with oil than one that has been rusted. When I see one that has been used and used and used, it makes me wonder what all she made. Was it all of the clothes for a big happy family? Did she make a wedding dress? Did she make a suit? Did she make hundreds of little dresses? Did she hem jeans for the boys? Baby clothes? Did she mend a tent? Did she make quilts and curtains? Did she re-upholster the couch? Think of all those scratches as little merit badges.... And the best part.... that machine isn't ready to retire - it just wants a new big family to work for.