View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 PM
FroggyinTexas

Originally Posted by Donna Yount View Post
I am in my late 40's and just started quilting, as I have looked at QB, I have noticed some say about the name brand of fabrics, I didn't know such things. Could or would some one explain to me about this, are some better then others? What name is the best? And why? Thanks
Be careful! Some people will tell you that the only fabric you should use is at quilt shops. You will certainly find some good fabric there, but you can also find some real duds and at a really high price. You can find lovely fabric at JoAnn's, WalMart, thrift stores and yard sales. You can also find some real trash in those places.What you are looking for is appearance and something called "hand."
Hand is how the fabric feelsin your hand. If you can, get someone who is not a fabric snob and who knows about fabric to go to several different stores with you. As you handle the fabric, you will begin to be able to tell what is good quality and what is not.

I love Cranston and VIP (made, I think, by the same company) and can get it at WalMart. AE Nathan makes some lovely fabric at lower prices than some of the "big" names. I also love Blank fabrics, made by Blank textiles, but they are hard for me to find in my area.

Google quilt fabrics and you will find an abundance of information to read. Keep in mind that our ancestors made exquisite quilts from what was left of work shirts, skirts, and dresses that were mostly worn out and that they also used flour and feed sacks. Don't overlook blends ( quick, call the quilt police).

Mostly, have the courage to experiment. froggyintexas