Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Yvonne

Default Hand Quilting - error and how to prevent in the future

First some background information -
I have a floor quilt frame that I'm still learning to use. I have worked on two quilts on this frame. The first quilt came off just fine. This second one - not so good!
The quilt was loaded onto the frame with the three blocks across. I started quilting with the row that has the heart in the center.
Okay, the problem.
If you look in the photos you can see it! Hard to miss. The back of the quilt is nice and flat - smooth, just the way it should be. The batting is also as it should be. The embroidery blocks are great. But look at the excess fabric in the horizontal sashing. What did I do that caused that? What do I do to prevent it ever happening again? Any help will be most appreciated!
I had planned to do some free motion quilting on the sashings after I finished hand quilting the blocks. Should I have done that first?
Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this other than ripping out my hard work?
My current plan is to machine stitch around the outside of the red frame on each block. Baste the outside edge of the quilt and then put it in the washer and dryer and see if there's any shrinkage. (I don't prewash)
What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails pc260001.jpg   pc260002.jpg   pc260003.jpg