View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 AM
mrsk

I am so glad someone asked this question. It was truely refreshing to "hear" all the different responces. Especially since my daughter & I just finished 3 quilts to give away for Christmas & I recently gave away a baby quilt. I personally LOVE all quilts( & believe me my mom made some"test" quilts that were TRUELY UGLY! they are car quilts) I have also "picked up" quilts at garage sales & auctions & my husband gave me the evil "what are you thinking" look, & I have used & loved some of them & some I have cut up for a new use. BUT, having said all that, I also have a quilt my mother made for me for my wedding present, from fabric I purchased, that I absolutely loved, in a pattern that I chose, because my mother had made 6 butterfly quilts for all my brothers & sister when they got married, & I told her if I had to see another butterfly quilt, I would puke! I cherish my quilt, & it rarely hits the bed. It usually hangs on a quilt hanger above my bed instead, but it is one of my most prized posesions. I also love a quilt that she made from wool scraps & drapery linning, not so much for its beauty but because it has seen me through soccer & football games, hunting deer with my husband, power outages, & many other "cold" times. I think a gift does not ALWAYS have to be used for its original purpose to be appreciated, & sometimes it has to be "passed on" or even "remade" to find the right person to appreciate it.