View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 AM
MomtoBostonTerriers

Lynda, What a great thread you've started!

I stopped giving store-bought gifts about 15 years ago. My reason for doing this is a similar reaction to materialism. ENOUGH is ENOUGH! Since then I've made and given quilted gifts, gifts inspired by scrapbooking, and things from the kitchen. The hardest part of this project is to find a gift to make for the year, but it keeps me on my toes to be creative and come up with something that most people on my list will like. This year, I made 6 quilts!

Interestingly, when I started this "new trend", the reaction from my family was not favorable. My parents grew up dirt poor, and to them, handmade means cheap. My siblings are very wealthy and enjoy shopping and spending money--that is their way of showing love. They did NOT like my new approach to gift-giving, but they have stopped complaining about it. Now that my parents are in their 80s, they are changing their attitude to see there are more important things in life than stuff.

Personally, I love to receive handmade gifts of any type. I cherish those items long after the STUFF has gone into the Goodwill bag.

To all of you who make, rather than buy, Christmas gifts: May your tribe increase!