View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 AM
hperttula123

Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
There are no stead fast rules about poly or cotton. Poly thread ripping cotton fabric is an old myth. If you go to Superior Threads website he has very useful information about poly vs. cotton threads. Personally, I prefer poly over cotton for several reasons less lint, colorfast, easier to tension, doesn't change due to weather conditions, AND it does not shrink in the wash! I like using Maxi Lock thread for piecing because it is a finer thread and there is less of a bump when pressing seams. For machine quilting I use a lot of Maxi Lock, So Fine and Bottom Line threads.
You just need to find which works best for you. If you prefer the poly threads then use them. Whenever someone says you should be using cotton thread just smile and say, "Thank you."
The reason people think that poly thread will rip the cotton fabric is over time cotton fabric (being a natural fiber) degrades over time and with use and washing. Poly thread being a man made fiber does not.
I agree with everything Crashnquilt says. I still use cotton at my domestic machine, just because I have so much of it but on the long arm I only use poly thread. So Fine is my favorite. I have done it this way for years now and I will tell you the quilts that I make for my kids at home get used for everything from cleaning up spills to sleds(my kids have great imaginations). Mainly the reason I use poly thread for quilting is that it doesn't lint up the machine like cotton does. It means cleaning it more often.