View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 03:51 PM
patdesign

Cheers to all of you who say that the "gift" no matter what, is the "thought" that, that person cared enough to present a gift to you. As a designer I must tell you that quilts DO NOT HAVE TO MATCH ANYTHING, as they are really in the realm of art. Many of us get so caught up in the matchy matchy that we feel it is a mistake if it doesn't match, or co-ordinate. I once had a client who was a master quilter, when we designed her home each of the bedrooms was its own unique room because of her beautiful quilts. They were all hand done and I have never seen any quilts as beautiful even at shows, and NO none of them matched the overall color scheme. I hope this comment will liberate some of you from self imposed rules to match everything. For those of us who have given gifts that never show up again in the household take heart most of us have experienced this at one time or another. When that happens to me I make a mental note not to err in that realm again. Can you imagine giving a gift of 4 waterford crystal vases with porcelain flowers (a limited edition of which each sold for $115 to $ 130) and getting a lukewarm thanks and then NEVER seeing those items again? It happened to me, but as I tell my husband, once you give a gift, it is no longer yours and the recipient has the ultimate decision over what and how, etc they will handle that gift. Have a happy New Year!!