View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Chay

Default iPad or book cushion

Originally Posted by Anna from Oz View Post
Yes KR my eldest son showed me the free Apps called Zite, it makes you your own personal quilting magazine, all for free.
My son went to the Zite site on his ipad, typed in Quilting, and that was all it took. It is a quilting daily magazine. <o>I have typed the details below and an example of one of the articles. (Any interest/hobby subject can be typed in for your own personalized daily magazine)

I was amazed that my big tall 39 year old Harley Davidson owner son thought of this Zite site for his mum. I don't have an ipad yet, we were just exploring my son's to see if I would like one. I did find it a bit heavy to hold to do lots of reading from, but I suppose I could always use a small cushion to rest it on.
This Zite site is definately an Apps I would download.
</o>

Sent from Zite personalized magazine iPad app.<o></o>
Available for free in the App Store.<o></o>
www.zite.com<o></o>
<o> </o>
One of the articles in my free magazine Comfort and Joy with Selina....and her Rice Bag Tutorial ( some may have a headache lol)<o></o>
http://www.sewwequilt.com/2011/12/comfort-and-joy-with-selinaand-her-rice.html

At last, I can post a tip to someone! Members have been very kind answering my questions on here, so I am so happy to be able to give back for once.
Regards,
Anna Australia

<o> </o>
Anna,
I made an iPad cushion for a friend for Christmas based on a pattern I saw on a Kindle site that a woman was generous enough to share. I actually made 1 iPad cushion and 9 book rest cushions for my reading friends. Here's how:

Cut out 2 pieces of fabric each 12 x 14" (for the book cushions cut the fabric 20 x 24"). Right sides together, sew around all 4 sides leaving an opening to turn. Square off 3 of the 4 corners - like you do when you make a purse with a flat bottom, meet the front and back seams of the corner and sew straight across about 2" down. (For the big bags I sewed about 8" down.) Turn the bag inside out and fill about 2/3 full with the styrofoam beads that you use to fill bean bag chairs. I bought an immense bag of beans for about $13 and ended up using all of them because I made so many cushions. Hand sew the opening shut. When you put the cushion on your lap the point that you did not square off is on top. Smoosh the cushion around till you find a comfortable angle to hold your book or iPad.

You can fancy these up by making a fabric or ribbon loop to put in the corner that is not squared off so that when you turn it right side out there's a loop handle and I also put a pocket on the big ones to keep a pencil, reading glasses or a nice big bar of chocolate that you can munch on while reading.

I hope these directions are clear, it's hard to describe how to do something in words. Really, it took about 15 minutes to make the iPad cushion and once I started an assembly line for the others I had them done in an afternoon. I'll post a picture if I can manage to figure out how.

Char
Attached Thumbnails book-bench.jpg