View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
QuiltnLady1

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
I am watching as I am going to have my right hand - dominant hand done in the early spring. My left isn't anywhere near as bad as the right. I got shots in each joint. I was told they would take cartilage from my arm and turn it into something similar to the outer layer of bologna! Lol yup bologna is what the nurse said
That is exactly what I am going to have to have done. After talking to my regular doctor (he confirmed both hands are equally bad), I will be waiting until early 2013. DH has had eye surgery and other issues this year and needs to get so he can drive and assume some of the household chores. In addition, we have some young DGS that I want to be able to cuddle a little more while they are small.

The procedure is called Ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition arthroplasty. I have to have a serious discussion about pain meds before the surgery since I am allergic to the meds they nromally use. I have read that the pain can last up to 12 weeks so I need to have some potential backup.

This is the best description that I have found of what the surgery entails.
http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw003.htm