View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
This year I took part in a UFO challenge elsewhere that was very elaborately organised, and I don't think that actually helped me very much - it set me up to fail. I really like the easy-going approach here on the board. I've gathered up all my UFOs and put them in crates under my bed so that I'm not overwhelmed by the sight of them (about 17). Out of interest, I made a list of them just so I know what I've got. My method is going to be to pull one out at random and start working on it. If, as often happens, it comes to a temporary halt because I need fabric, batting or thread, I'll put it back until I can get to the quilt shop and pull another one out. I've decided not to try to do one a month, because if I fail early on, I'll get discouraged. I'm thinking that for me what might work best is simply to resolve to do some work on one of the UFOs every day that I can get to my sewing machine. That way I should at least make some progress and, who knows, may even finish some! And being able to come here and share how I'm doing will be a huge help.
We all work differently - some people need to set themselves targets, some of us don't respond well to that approach. Some like to focus on one project, others like to have variety. This challenge is great, because we can all play to our own strengths and favourite working methods, and hopefully get some of those UFOs onto the finished list this next year!
Happy New Year and Happy UFO Completion to all!
I agree!! This challenge is about encouraging and helping each other get stuff done! I know I'm not real likely to even work on one UFO in January because I have a baby quilt that needs done and I have a workshop the first weekend of February to design a pair of wall hangings for. I haven't started any of them yet!