View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 AM
catrancher

Default Doll Quilt for my Friend's Granddaughter

About a month ago, I volunteered to make doll quilts for a friend's granddaughters. My friend is lucky enough to have five granddaughters, and her own daughter is expecting another baby. Will there be another? My friend gave me a little run down on the girls' favorite colors and what sorts of things they
like. I decided to start with the oldest, age 10, and move on down the line by age. The first granddaughter plays the flute, and her favorite color is purple. I did an internet search for "flute player quilt patterns," and came up with a quilt called (not surprisingly) "The Flute Player Quilt," designed by Joyce Mori.

http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.h...365&cat_id=436

The quilt was a little larger than I wanted it, and so I only used the center kokopelli motif in my doll quilt. I had intended to just add some borders around it, but I was hoping for something a little fancier than just strips of fabric. And then I happened upon another quilt called "Tuxedo Cats" that appeared in the Summer, 2011, issue of Fons & Porters Easy Quilts, which had a really nice sashing I thought would work well for my border. So I combined elements of both quilts and came up with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]299161[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails elyce-dq-014-copy.jpg