Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Buckeye Rose

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I am just wondering WHY if you already know all of this, and you already know this is a lifelong question,(especially on this board), and you don't care to really hear WHY you should wash...just why did you even make this topic?

the # reason you should ALWAYS wash is chemicals...period..the rest is irrelevant..because you can always add the sizing back in to give your NEW feel, but you won't have the chemicals to contend with!
I never used to prewash, but after having one red piece bleed all over a white, I wash everything now. It all gets washed when I bring it home, but I don't starch until I am ready to cut and sew. The starch gives me back the crispness I like and washes out well so I can get that crinkled look. You can get the crinkled look by using cotton batting as well as by a bit of fabric shrinkage (I use poly batting for a smoother look). Flannel shrinks so much more than regular cotton, prewashing is a necessity for anything I make. It can shrink enough to pull seams loose.

As Jaciqltznok said, this appears to be opening a can of worms, as everyone has their own opinion and most won't change their minds. There have been quite a few previous discussions on this topic and a search would have given you the answers you are looking for.