View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 10:17 PM
IAmCatOwned

It's a convenience thing. I have done 2. No more. I'm done. I was under the impression that the patterns would never be available except through the BOM. Not true. Most of the designers are under contract to restrict the pattern for a couple of years. After that, they release it for sale, although sometimes it's hard to find. I'm willing to wait longer and use my own fabric. Both BOM patterns were available for sale about a year after I received all the parts. However, the fabrics specific for the quilts were no longer available. Not a problem most of the time. However, it may be the SPECIFIC fabric that attracts you to the BOM in the first place.

Keep in mind that a lot of what you pay for is individual shipping charges. The patterns alone are not cheap - sometimes as much as $60 given the low print runs or many pages, such as with applique.

Now, I'm assuming you speak of BOMs that are mailed out. I participate in one at my LQS. It's a bit pricey, but not that much more than if I bought all the fabric at once. It's just that fabric prices went up and this is not discounted at all. I thought it would be MORE fun to participate in a BOM where we meet in a group. It is. It is fun.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-31-2011 at 10:23 PM.