Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Marcia_PA

Question Share your tips & tricks for making a T-shirt quilt

I told my neighbor I would help her make a quilt with her late husband's classic car T-shirts. She is not a sewer or quilter, so I will be doing that part. I think she can help with the planning, the cutting and ironing, etc. I haven't made a quilt from T-shirts before, so I hope you will share you tips and tricks with me--also what NOT to do or use.

What kind of iron-on interfacing works well? What kind should I stay away from that was a problem for you? I'm sure I'll have more questions as the project begins later this winter. My neighbor plans to give the quilt to her son and wants to use 20 T-shirts, so it will probably be a 4 x 5 block quilt. I haven't seen the shirts yet so I'm not sure exactly how it will be laid out. I do like the look of sashing used between the blocks and rows.

I have already purchased a 15-inch square ruler from Joann's latest half price sale to use in the project. I would have liked a bit larger one but it was the largest at the store. Any other tools that are helpful?

Thanks for your help and comments.