Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
"Is there any way to adjust the take up lever - both had dried up oil on the side that rubs - is that the fix?"

Miriam,

I've broken takeup levers trying to bend them back into shape, necessitating replacements.
Is the rubbing on the body/ casting or on the faceplate? If on the body then I guess I'm saying I don't have an answer for you. If the rubbing is on the faceplate that would be easy to bend out the faceplate slightly.

Cathy
The Spartan rubs on the body - somebody knew it - there is a LOT of dried up oil on both the lever and the slot on that side. I've wondered about filing some off the place where it rubs and then repainting a dab - it's a barely used machine probably for that reason. The Spartan also has the pressure thumb screw almost all the way out. I'm wondering if someone stripped the threads on that - it does not want to turn easy. I left it for now.

The 99 barely rubs on the face plate in the down stroke - I loosened up the screw and figured a washer would keep it back enough to do the job for that one - the bottom face plate screw is missing. I think I have one somewhere or will pull it off the Spartan for now. The 99 too is a barely used machine.

Some how I doubt if swapping the take up levers would fix both machines... I just don't want to even think about that for more than a nanosecond.