View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 AM
AFQSinc

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Well, I ordered a BoM from Keepsake Quilting and it cost $24.95 mo for 13 months plus backing. BUT, I live in a remote area - no close quilt stores plus I dislike picking out colors b/c I'm not good at that. AND, I don't smoke, drink, go to movies or eat out a lot so I figure $25 a month for something that brings me pleasure is ok. I even take my own tea to work so I don't have to pay $2 + at local drive-in and that alone saves $40/month. As far as it being like everyone else - so what if someone in tim-buc-tu makes one like it. I'll never see it anyway.
This is a very good point. I have an acquaintance that regularly spends $25-75+ a month on makeup, her nails, other impulse shopping. Plus eating out. The eating out alone once per month would more than cover the cost of a moderately priced or even expensive BOM program. And at the end (providing the project is completed) you would have a lovely quilt to show for it.

I think ultimately it comes down to what each persons feels is a priority. I used to pay $25 every other week or so for manicures. Not anymore. I'd rather buy fabric or a pattern or two when I see something that I like. Everyone is different. The main thing that kills it for me is that the shipping costs have gotten so high that at the end of the year over $100 has been paid for that alone.