Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 AM
lmgilbert

I know exactly what you mean. More than 25 years ago, I bought one of the first Gammill long arms. At that time hardly anyone had them and there were no manuals or written directions. Mr Gammill came to set it up and gave me verbal instructions which included oiling the machine, setting up the fabric, and a lot of cautions about only quilting in one direction etc. There were no magazines on machine quilting or any support from other quilters. I was overwhelmed and as you said, scared to use it. Well, I was having children and working and never really used it. Finally, 25 years later, I said what the heck, had it serviced and just dug in. I had to look at a picture on the gammill ads to remember how to load it. The model is so old, the online manuals don't refer to it. But, it really isn't so difficult. You can't really hurt the machine and it is so worth it. I don't have a stitch regulator but I have "mastered" basic free motion stuff. (or at least can do it ok). I even had the nerve to mess with the tension, top and bobbin. Any change you make can be reversed! Once you start working with it, your confidence will quickly build. Good Luck.