View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Quilting Nonnie

Originally Posted by Vanogay View Post
Okay, looks like my jpeg was too big. Somewhere here someone talked about reducing size. What was that link?
There is a program that comes with Microsoft Office. It is "Picture Manager." You have to go into the Programs from the Start menu. Scroll down to Microsoft Office and it should show a side bar with the list of all the programs in Office. Picture Manager should be in there. Click on that.

You can get your picture shown on PM two different ways: 1. Go to your picture. Right click on picture. The menu will have "Open With." The next menu will show different programs you can open your picture in. Click on "Picture Manager." The picture will open in PM.

2. In PM, on the right hand side there is a menu that say: "My Picture Shortcuts." By clicking on that, it will let you browse for where your picture is.

Once your block picture is in PM, choose the "Edit Pictures" from the bar across the top. (Not the pull-down menus) On the left there will be a column called Edit Pictures. Choose "Compress Pictures" at the bottom. New column. There is a list of what size to change your document. Choose "Documents." The picture of the block you now see is the compressed (or smaller MB size). Use the "Save As" from File Menu and choose where you want to save this smaller sized picture.

It is a good idea to keep your larger file in one place. In my Pictures, I have a file called "Carol Doak Stars". Inside that file I have another file named Small Pictures. I save my compressed document to that file and leave the larger picture in the Carol Doak file. If I have named my big picture as Alabama, I save the compressed file as "xAlabama".

Very Important. When you exit PM, it will say that the file has not been saved. CLICK NO. Otherwise you will replace your larger picture with the compressed one!

If you use PM all the time, you can pin it to your start menu to make it easier to get to.

Also, once you choose to open your picture with PM, all your pictures in your computer will now open with PM ;from now on. Then all you have to do after the first one, is just double click on the picture you want to compress and it will open in PM.

You can also crop, change brightness and contrast (to improve color), rotate pictures.

Hope this is clear enough.