Thread: sewing cabinet
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
deemail

Originally Posted by Mamatron View Post
Congrats! I bought a used one and have had more shoulder pain ever since. I am trying to figure out what height the chair should be. What kind of chair are you using?
do not mean to be nosy...but here is my ergonomic lecture that we got at work...this really makes a difference.

Sit in your sewing chair, (hopefully it is adjustable). when sitting straight, you ear, shoulder, and hipbone should all be lined up. Your hip, knee and ankle should all be at exactly 90 degrees. Make the chair fit you and then the desk/sewing table fit your chair. Most people pump their chairs up and this is the worst thing you can do for your back. That tips you forward as your hips come up with the seat...now you are balancing your weight on your ankles trying to stay in the chair because it tilts down. the thing that keeps you in the chair is your feet and the small of your back. shoulder pain may be caused by lots of things but is exacerbated by the table being too high. you should be bending your elbow at 90 deg to work...and most of us have to reach up, stressing the shoulder.

To correct the desk/table, move it down...if you can't, put a tilting footrest under the desk to bring your knees back up to 90 deg.... I sew on my ironing boards about half the time, partly for this and partly for the portability, pressing and pinning... you might not be able to get ALL of these things perfect, but improving some of them will help...

Last edited by deemail; 01-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.