View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Default The cleaning of a 1948 featherweight

I know you mostly see posts of really pretty Singer Featherweight machines. I'm going to try to post about 20 pics of Mom's 1948 Singer FW - so please be patient and let me finish before we get real many comments. This machine has nicks and scratches on the nicks and scratches. If you think about a boy scout with a ton of merit badges on his shirt - this machine would be a life scout or what ever is the highest rank of scout if the nicks and scratches really were merit badges. I'll try to unfold this story as I go along. Perhaps my sister will chime in along the way.

For Christmas my sister and I cleaned up Mom's FW. We took pieces off Mom never knew would come off and cleaned out lint and gunk. We cleaned the body of it up and the FW sparkles as best one that has been used for everything ever could. We took pics. I gave Mom a print out of a manual in large print. She has always been visually impaired - she had eye surgery but she still has some trouble. She has read the manual a couple times. She held the manual and kind of stroked it for a while. I love it. She beamed from ear to ear when we ran the machine and adjusted the tension - she said it hasn't sounded that good since she bought it new in 1948. My sister and I had to choke back when she said she had NEVER taken the throat plate off to clean the machine. It looked like it too. Here is the before picture - it looks exactly like the after picture.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]299923[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001small.jpg