View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Japonica

Question Charm pack quilts

Good Morning and Happy New Year to All,

Well here it is now, WINTER! So, my thoughts have turned to my projects for the coming year. I would like to make some quilts for my daughters/DIL's. Here are my thoughts. I would like to use charm packs, if I can find a good price, to prevent all the cutting. I have to make seven of these and my goal is for Christmas this year. My DH is going to make them all quilt racks for me. Anyway, I have a design in mind. I would like to use a 5 inch charm pack and cut some horizontal strips to fit with the 5 inch square. Then I would like to put a small picture at the one corner in a square shape. I was then thinking it might be fun to put a square of fabric on top of the picture, so the gals would have to lift the fabric to reveal the picture. I have just begun quilting and this is probably a severe undertaking, but I think I am up to it!

My questions are these:

Has anyone heard of or made a quilt using a "flap" to hide something underneath? Are there any links that I can go to?

Is there some sort of chart somewhere that would tell me how many charm packs I need to complete a certain sized project?

Thanks, as always for all your help.

Japonica