Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Muv

Hello everyone, and thank you Miriam for putting up the link.

I have just been doing a bit of online research to see if there is a difference between Seville and temple oranges. I have an excellent book which gives American equivalents, and for marmalade where we use Seville oranges it puts temple oranges as the US alternative.

However, it seems they are not the same. Can somebody please tell me what temple oranges taste like? Are they sweet like an ordinary orange, are they semi-tart like a grapefruit, or are they as bitter as a lemon or a lime? This will make a difference to how much sugar you need to add. Seville oranges are as bitter (perhaps even more bitter) than a lemon, and I have seen temple oranges described as sweet.

In fact, can you get Seville oranges easily in the States? I have found this article http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...ade/index.html It looks as though they are hard to find, and I'm not convinced where the article says add lemons to sweet oranges to get the same effect.

The reason Seville oranges are used for marmalade is that when cooked the pith goes translucent, the pips give loads of pectin for an easy set, and they are sold unwaxed so you don't have to scald them to get the wax off.

I have looked at the recipe given in the NY Times article and it is typical of the type of marmalade recipe that I avoid - far too complicated, too much fuss! Many people look at marmalade recipes and never even try. This is why I put my method on Youtube.

I intend to put up a red grapefruit marmalade recipe next - at least you can get those easily in the States!

Last edited by Muv; 01-03-2012 at 10:49 AM.