Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM
mojo11

Originally Posted by catlinye_maker View Post
Not fool-proof by any means, but what I do is clip to the inside point JUST before stitching, stitch down one side of the V until about an eighth of an inch from the point, then use the side of the needle to sweep the point of the V under, going from one side about a quarter inch up to the other side where the stiching done so far stops. Then pinch it flat between thumb and finger to press it, and stitch. I go deeper into the applique fabric at the point and take three or four stitches there, going into the background fabric at the center of the V and then fanning out into the applique fabric.

If there are teeny threads sticking out I try to tuck them under before stitching, or if they fight that I take an extra stitch and maneuver the thread to catch the loose piece and draw it into the edge. I try not to manipulate the fabric more than the minimum needed to get the right shape so that things don't start to fray; that's also the reason for never clipping before I get there.

If you look at your hand and spread three fingers out wide apart, your fingers are the stitches; the tips of your fingers are the ends of stitches into the applique fabric and your center knuckle is the center of the V, if everything was expanded several thousand percent. I hope this makes sense; it's hard to describe in words!

I'm always looking for a better way to handle these; looking forward to everyone else's tips!
Thank you. I will try this method.