View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 PM
deemail

http://www.kayewood.com/item/6_Hour_Quilt_Book/214

this quilt begins with a 6 x 18" pc in the center, 2 fabrics, 1 pc batting...you build the sandwich in the center and then the next strip is the same, put on with right sides together both back and front and the batting on the bottom...2 layers of everything, 2 fronts, 2 backs 2 batts.... when you sew the side seam, the top flips to the right, the back flips up from the bottom to the right and the batt from the bottom comes with it... then you go round and round like a log cabin and each time, the sandwich is laid on the same way, stacked up so that when you unstack it...all seams are inside and nothing is more than 6" wide so your quilting is done as you sew...

it's called the 6 hr quilt and the first one may take that long, but i do my 42 x 54" version in 4 hours and the binding is done...

i cut any scraps big enough to be one of these pcs, 6 x 18 (10), 6 x 30 (8), 6 x 42 (8)... when i have enough of each size i do a quilt...you would be cutting all of them that day so that would take a bit more time... each pair of sizes needs 1 pc of batt the same size... so 5, 4 and 4... scrap is great for this...

the pattern is only 5.95 which is a real bargain if you can't figure it out and they are done many times for donor quilts by one person or a team...these are frequently done at quilt shows with anyone stopping into the sewing room, and cutting, seaming, sandwiching together for the seamers, and binding... people just pick up a step and do it for awhile and at the end of the show, they donate all the finished quilts to a linus or other local group...

the pic on the book can be blown up and it is pretty easy to see.... but it is fast, reversible and done ....

Last edited by deemail; 01-04-2012 at 07:09 PM.