View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM
DogHouseMom

Default Are methods allowed to be shared?

I know I can't (won't) copy patterns or pages from books to share with others. But I'm wondering about sharing concepts that are gleaned from books that were written for the sole purpose of teaching a method (as opposed to a specific pattern).

For example ... I purchased a book called "Fabulous Fractures". While the book does give some defined specifics about sizes of strips to cut, and seam allowance - the basic crux of the book is the METHOD that is used to create a fracture. The method is basically a simple math equation. The concept, the method are remarkably easy.

Because it was published, I'm hesitant to pass along to others the basic concept I used to make my fracture. A few have remarked "wow - how did you do that" - none have asked me to share, but I'm wondering if I can if asked. I did make a few remarks about the concept, but didn't give instructions and left out some key elements as I was skating on rather shaky ground.

So what do you guys think about sharing methods?

And one more question while we are at it. Is it OK for an LQS to host a class to teach a method learned from a book? Would a requirement for each class member to purchase the book be necessary to teach the method?

I'm curious ... can a "method" be copy written? The words that describe the method can be, but the method itself??