Thread: 1953 Singer
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 PM
miriam
Power Poster

I bought a Singer Spartan a while back and pieced a little quilt for Wilbur my DGS. I fell in love with the Spartan. Then I gave the Spartan to Wilbur's big sister - DGD LOVES her little Spartan. I put a finger guard on it so she doesn't accidentally get vaccinated. She has been making 9 inch doll quilts to sell - she is trying real hard to earn enough money to buy herself a shed of her own.

So. I had to find myself a 3/4 size machine. I found a 99 with a bend shaft for the balance wheel. It now has a hand crank and I just love it. I found a Spartan at an auction and traded some parts with the Singer 99. I also found an Alden which is a 3/4 size Japanese 15 clone. (at the same auction as the Spartan) I think it will do some FM work. I love those little beasts - they don't dance all over the place like a FW. They aren't too bad for weight. Then, last night I bought another Singer 99 AND a Singer 128 (I think) and those two are the prettiest of the bunch.

What I don't under stand... the Singer 99 is little and the Singer 66 is big - shouldn't the big number go to the big machine and the smaller number go to the smaller machine??? Doesn't make sense to me and I get them mixed up.