View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 AM
Cinderella

I too used my kitchen island for cutting but was tired of walking from one room to another when trying to make something and having threads everywhere, (the sign of a true quilter right?). I bought a 6' folding table and had my husband cut 4" x 4" posts that we had stored in the garage and drill out the center a few inches to the perfect height for me, (I'm 5' 6"). You can also use PVC pipe but why waste the money when the posts were gathering dust in the garage! When I need the height, I simply lift the end of the table (not heavy at all) and slip the leg in the hole at the top of the post that he drilled out. In a matter of seconds I have a table high enough to save my back from having to lean over. I also use it as my sewing table so simply lift the end and kick the blocks out and back down to sitting height! It does not wobble when I sew or cut. You can use a 6' like I did or an 8' table it works the same. I can put my ironing pad on one end when I am sewing to press seams as I go. It makes the table very flexible and doesn't take up as much space as having to have several different surfaces to use. If you don't have room to leave the table out, mine folds in half and can be stored behind a door or simply against the wall. The table cost me $30 at Lowe's, the blocks were leftovers from a previous project and now I have a multiple work station!