Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM
majormom

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
HA! The quilt I just finished piecing (Fracture) has 1/8" seams AND it called for pressing them open. THAT was NOT fun and not something I ever plan on doing again. To top it off, the fabric I was using wanted to fray a lot, and every time I handled it I would leave a trail of threads from the seam edges behind. I already know that because of the small seams and the fraying (and it is an LQS fabric I was using - Northcott I believe but not certain), I am going to have to some very heavy quilting on it to make sure it holds together. I don't trust it.

I can say this much ... I think when I press seams to one side the chance that I'll iron in "bowing" is much greater than when I press seams open. That's the only good thing that came out of that 1/8" open seam experience.
Ugh! 1/8 in. seams!!?? How awful. Why did the seams have to be so small? I've been thinking that I don't really like 1/4 in. seams either. Especially when the fabric is ravelly. What is the reasoning behind the very narrow seams? I realize that if the seams were 5/8 in as in garment sewing, it would take more fabric to make the quilt, but boy, it would be so much easier with less chance of seams coming out and such. With the 5/8 seams, ironing the seams open on the quilt would be so easy. Would using 5/8 in. seams set the quilting world on it's ear?? :-)