View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Mona Lisa 2011

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
SO here is my Alabama... and my first ever paper pieced ANYTHING...

It drove me to tears actually. I had a booger of a time getting the center points to match. PLEASE do not look closely. I nearly quit. But I sent a pic to my DEAR sister and she said it was fixable... Not without frustration, I promise. My other choice was to remake it. But I decided to embrace my process??? HAHA It did not measure 12" finished. Not sure where my mistake was there. I'll have to add a border if the other squares make it to 12". Maybe by the time we get to Wyoming I'll have paper piecing mastered?

I'm using a collection of 37 antique red/white/blue 1/2yd MODA fabrics I purchased last summer while swap hopping in Idaho with the above mentioned sister. I will do all my backgrounds in plain muslin. I may purchase a couple of yellow or golds as the MODA collection doesn't have any and it might come in handy in some of the squares. I hope I have enough fabric to finish all 50 states.

Thanks for looking.

~SheriR
Here are some tips I have discovered. Maybe it will help others.
1. When you flip and press your pieces be sure you iron up tight against the seam so they will match connecting seams.
2. When connecting your A & B sections and squares use a scant 1/4 " seam. (ie. stitch a needle wide to the right hand side of the black line.)
3. DO NOT trim the outside edges of the completed block edges until you are finished. Then when you square up your block it will measure 12 1/2" .