Thread: New Question -
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Maggieloe

Originally Posted by JUNEC View Post
What is a fabu-motion - w/o stitch regulator?
These were around a few years ago. Basically a frame - attached to something that slides under your machine. It gives about an 8 by 8 window to stitch in and it moves on ball bearings. It actually allows nice smooth free motion motion. I think it would probably be best for a lot of stitching in a small area and was moderately helpful to me as a rank beginner.

The trouble is, it takes a bit to get out and set up and then there is only a fairly small window so you need to run out of space and have to adjust frequently. Very limiting if doing large meandering or other larger patterns. I have found it more trouble than it is worth.

You could also get one "with stitch regulator" which is an electronic thing attached to your sewing machine that helped keep your stitching even. I know at least one person who swears by this and does lovely quilting. But even she agrees that its use is limited. She turns it off when stitching slowing (or fast, can't remember). Quite expensive, I think these were selling for around $500 originally. Mine was originally about $200 but I got it for half of that because at the time they really weren't selling well. I don't know if they are even available anymore. Obviously, I wouldn't recommend it.