Old 01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
DawnFurlong

Default What price is fair - Husqvarna Sapphire 835

I was in a local Joann Fabrics store today when this sewing machine caught my eye. Both because of the harp space and because of the price. It was the floor model listed for $949.

I currently have a Janome 4800, and was hoping to upgrade sometime this year (had my eye on a Janome 6600). These seem to be retailing for around $1400, give or take. I want a machine that has a bigger harp space.

I test drove the Sapphire - and I was in sewing machine love!!! My Janome feels like a total clunker compared to the way the Sapphire felt. I tried different feet, FMQ, etc. Love, love, love it!!

So, I came home to research the machine (reviews, pricing, etc). I called another dealer in my area. They have the same machine for $989. The lady at Joann's said that model is usually on sale there for $1099. I can't seem to find what the average retail price for this machine is.

My thinking is - if I can get one somewhere else for $989, then $949 for a floor model is a little high. But then again, I don't know how much of a "discount" is usually given for buying a store model. I was thinking around $150. Is this about right? Therefore I was wondering about making an offer for the floor model at Joann's (I was thinking around $850 - $875).

What do you think? What would be a fair price for this model? I haven't shopped sewing machines for some time. I would love a great deal - but also want to be fair.

Dawn